The Mildmay Club is seeking to appoint a Club Manager.
We are looking for an individual who is experienced in the bar or club or hospitality sector, who has strong management and administration skills and is able to oversee and expand a diverse entertainment and live events programme.
The ideal candidate will respect the heritage and traditions of the Club and bring a positive, can-do attitude and a willingness to innovate to help the Club reach its social and financial potential.
Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Friday 14th January
The Mildmay Club – Radical Since 1888!
Originally known as the Mildmay Radical Club it was established in 1888.The Mildmay Club is now one of London’s few surviving working men’s social clubs, located on Newington Green. Our 120 year-old building was recently given Grade-II listed status with unchanged features stretching over a century. From Club members who served in the First World War through to its use as a food bank during the Covid-19 crisis, the Club has been at the heart of the community – a place where people (not just men!) of all ages come together, to socialise and support one another.
Our vision is for the Club to continue to serve the community through the 21st century in the same way it has done since 1888 and remain owned and managed by its members. The Club’s membership peaked in the post-war decades when it had over 4000 members, with a wide programme of entertainment events, competitions and activities taking place.
The members fell away considerably since that peak but progress has been made in the last five years to turn around the Club’s fortunes, with membership again growing as well as the offer to the current 700+ members – we want the diversity of our Club to reflect the diversity of our community and we are confident that far greater use of the building and increased activity is within our grasp.
Our Club has two large halls, one with a 200 capacity and one with 100 capacity, a members bar, a TV and pool room and a nine table snooker hall and offers simultaneous and diverse events in these spaces – but there are still spaces underused or needing renovation.
The Mildmay Club and Institution Limited (the Club) is a Society registered by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014. It is a member of the Working Men’s Club and Institute Union (CIU), the association of UK private members’ clubs.
The Club is governed by an elected Management Committee – the President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and up to 12 committee members, with a Club Secretary.
The Club is seeking a confident, experienced individual able to promote and maximise the use of the Club for members and the wider public. You will need to liaise and coordinate with our Committee Entertainments Officer and the Location/Film Booker.
We see this an opportunity for an individual to develop the Club whilst maintaining a commitment to our membership focused ethos.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the day to day operation of the Club, ensuring excellence in customer service with a focus on opportunities for growth and revenue generation, working closely with the Club’s officers and reporting to the Committee.
You will contribute to promotional campaigns and events to drive membership and sales, using local initiatives and innovative ideas utilising local and social media. This will include liaising with our Committee Games Officer on snooker, darts, bingo and live music events for members as well as wider community events. You will explore ideas that will maximise the use of Club throughout the day which could be community or member focussed or private hire, promoting the Club as a valuable community asset.
You will liaise with the Committee on new memberships and renewals.
You will be well organised, good communicators and able to manage their working time efficiently and effectively. You will need a proficiency in Word/Excel/social media accounts plus knowledge of EPOS and Xero.
The role will be 35 hours a week with those hours being flexible and coordinated with the Club’s Bar Shift Leader (also on 35 hours a week), to ensure there is a presence at the Club to service both day-to-day issues and events during the day, evenings and weekends.
You will liaise with the Club’s Treasurer and Stock and finance committee members to plan and manage the purchase of wet and dry stock, ensuring sufficient stock is available at all times for Club and programmed events.
With Stock and Finance lead, you will review the product range to ensure it meets the needs of club members and plan/implement an auditable stock control system.
You will be diplomatic and professional and keep sensitive information confidential and inform the committee of matters requiring their attention. You should anticipate attending monthly club committee meetings several times a year and providing a brief written report to every meeting with updates on operations /progress, ideas, and solutions.
Day-to-day work will typically include:
- Respond to Club incoming emails and telephone calls during working hours regarding Club matters/bar/bookings/events/members and liaise with the Committee /Location /Film Booker as required
- Respond promptly to matters raised by members or their guests and ensure actions are recorded online for review by the Committee
- Manage bookings and online diary for hall bookings and member functions and maintain documentary control of insurances required/particulars for those bookings
- Liaise with Committee Entertainment Officer and Treasurer/Book-keeper for online ticket sales for events and invoicing
- Work with Bar Shift Leader to maintain online staff rota for all staff including time sheets and holidays and coordinating with the Club’s bookkeeper for payment of salaries
- Work with Bar Shift Leader to ensure there is sufficient and appropriate staffing available at all times and that they are all fully proficient in their duties, taking full account of employment, environmental, and health and safety legislation and where appropriate the staff are knowledgeable about the product range available and pricing
- Work with Bar Shift Leader to ensure each shift has Bar Shift Lead on duty and working with the Bar Shift Leader to organise staffing of bars/maintaining bars/ cleaning of lines from the cellar on a weekly basis
- Working with the Bar Shift Lead to ensure effective supervision of the work performed by bar staff, club cleaners and the Door Security for events
- Liaise with Committee on staff performance and reviews as required
- Work with Bar Shift Leader to ensure measures such as Club security, fire safety and Health and Safety are consistently performed by all relevant staff
- Adhere to the Club’s fire procedures and ensure all appropriate staff have adequate fire related training.
- Ensure systems are in place to test and record online the fire alarms on a regular basis – liaising with the committee as appropriate
- Routine H&S monitoring – repairs, maintenance requirements, hygiene and cleanliness of the club and detect and solve related current and potential problems – alerting Committee when external maintenance contractors required
- Liaise as necessary with Bar Shift Lead and Book-keeper to ensure till roll totals reconciled on a daily basis
- Experience in running equivalent premises
- Proven track record of increasing footfall and sales
- Flexibility to meet the demands of the activities and events at the Club
- Excellent customer service credentials
- Good communications, social media, IT, and numerical skills
- Innovative, with positive can-do attitude
- Knowledge of business finance
- Demonstrable knowledge of licensing and relevant legislation to the Club
- Demonstrable knowledge of best practice employment procedures and policy
- Experience in managing and training staff
- Experience in bar, stock and cellar management
- Experience in event management
- Residing locally would be an advantage as a key holder position with flexible working hours.
- This is a full-time position, including evening, weekend and Bank Holiday hours, offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience in range of £35-40k.
- Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities, each individual task may not be identified here. A Club Manager will be expected to comply with any reasonable Committee request to undertake work of a similar level not specified in this job description and willing to undertake any training relevant to the role that may be required. There will be a probation period of six months.
- To apply for the position, or if you have questions, please email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com by end of Friday 14th January 2022. First interviews w/c 24th January 2022.
- If selected for interview, you should prepare three discussion ideas on how you might propose to increase the Club profile and generate activity and membership for our diverse and multi-generational community.
website : mildmay.club